If Barns Could Talk
Milford, IA - Join the Milford Memorial Library on Thursday, September 26, at 2:00 p.m. for Rich Tyler’s presentation “If Barns Could Talk.”
Old barns are more than just solid functional buildings. They represent the soul of our farming heritage and perhaps more! What is a barn, architecturally and emotionally? Barn design was based on experience, needs and ambition. Their function indicated both the farm operation and the farmer’s personal touch. Barn construction was a community affair comprised of hard work, huge meals and a barn dance. Few of us today have the products of our labor on display for all to see, appreciate and criticize. But what’s happening to our old barns? Will metal replace wood? Can we smell and touch the metal in the same fashion? What does our interest in barns tell us about ourselves? Why should we care about old barns today? These and other questions will be discussed as the history and current importance of barns are explored.
Rich Tyler has been restoring the Secrest farmstead and octagonal barn near West Branch. He has researched the history behind the property, including the golden age of farming, the Depression and the architecture of barns. Rich is a Professor in the Departments of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery and Speech Pathology and Audiology at the University of Iowa.
This program is sponsored by the Friends of the Milford Memorial Library and funded by a grant from Humanities Iowa.
Milford Memorial Library:Youth Corner
October is right around the corner, and of course Miss Becca has some exciting programs planned for your entire family. Please add these awesome opportunities to your calendar, and stay connected MML’s webpage and social media.
- Public Playdate: 10:30 A.M. on Saturday, October 5
- Building Bookworms-F is for Fire: 10:30 A.M. on Monday, October 7
- Afterschool Activity-Halloween BINGO: 3:30 P.M. on Thursday, October 10
- Public Playdate: 5:30 P.M. on Wednesday, October 16
- 4-H Clover Kids-Wonderful Wind: 3:30 P.M. on Thursday, October 17
- Building Bookworms- Bunches of Bones: 10:30 A.M. on Monday, October 28
- Trick or Treat with MML: 3:30 P.M. on Thursday, October 31