The Giant Faux Popcorn was an activity in the October 2021 Young Adult Subscription Box: Trick or Treat?. The idea was found on the on the SITS Girls Blog from Decmeber of 2019 Giant Faux Garland. The video link below came from the blog and will take you directly to it. The photos used are also from the blog to show what more than one will look like. I exerpeminated with one, to make sure it worked, and now my family wants to make more. MML would love to see a picture of your finished project.
Plastic gloves, Plastic Table Cloth/ Drop Cloth
Newspaper, Insulating Foam Sealant
String, Kabob skewer or Chopsticks, Tape
Red Ornament Balls—looks like cranberries (optional)
1. When using Foam Sealant, you need to wear gloves and old clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty. Needs to be done outside, but out of the wind.
2. Foam sealant is used to stick to various surfaces and cover cracks. Put down a plastic sheet or something down to prevent the foam from ruining the concrete prior to spraying.
3. Roughly ball the news paper up. It does not have to be perfect– this is basically a base to hold the shape of the popcorn. If you want super huge popcorn kernels, make the newspaper ball larger.
4. Attach the spray straw of the foam can. Shake the foam can and then begin to spray directly on the balled up newspaper.
5. Cover the newspaper entirely and then add a few nice big plops to the sides to make it look like popcorn.
6. Let the foam dry completely. It takes about an hour or two depending on how hot it is outside. Once it is dry, it will easily peel off of the plastic drop cloth. Flip it over and cover the other side of the newspaper. Let it dry again before moving it.
7. Once both sides are dry, you can add some more peaks to your popcorn if you want.
8. Tape your string to the end of the Chopstick. Take chopstick and making a hole to string each piece of “popcorn”. Then thread string through one side and out the other, and repeat the process until you have your popcorn strung.
Optional If you want to add a little color to the garland, you can purchase cheap plastic red ornaments to look like cranberries or different brightly colored ornaments to look like candy.
To hang Attach a couple of command hooks to gutters and string them up. The beauty of the foam popcorn kernels is that they are waterproof, light, and durable in all sorts of weather.
Variation: You can make regular sized fake popcorn and string it with a needle and thread. For berries red beads or fake cranberries can be strung as well.