Public Relations Policy
In order to promote community awareness of the services and programming of the Milford Memorial Library, the Staff and Board will engage in an effort to provide ongoing public relations. These efforts will accomplish the following goals:
Inform resident and rural patrons of available services.
Promote the many programs provided by the library.
Create an awareness of the roles and achievements of staff, volunteers and trustees.
Create an awareness of the need for volunteer and monetary support for the library.
Inform the public of the major accomplishments of the library and the unique features of its collection and services.
In order to achieve these goals, the library will:
- Provide regular press releases to the following local outlets: The Dickinson County News, The Lakes News Shopper, KICD & KUOO radio stations, and the Milford Communications announcements channel. Other media outlets, such as online community events calendars, will be used as needed and available. (Responsibility: Children’s Librarian for Children’s Department announcements / programming, and Special Projects Coordinator for general announcements and other programming. The Library Director must approve all PR materials sent out to the public.).
- Provide a library website (www.milford.lib.ia.us) with news of current services and upcoming events.
- Maintain a close working relationship with the Friends of the Milford Library Foundation Board.
- Offer courteous service to all patrons.
- Maintain a relationship with local schools and community organizations, offering guidance in the use of library services and cooperative programming when possible.
- Provide posters and/or fliers specific to certain special events, as needed, for circulation among the community.
- Ensure that all information sent to the media and/or general public is kept current by reviewing PR materials and their status on a weekly basis.